Question: I was wondering what do you think about chia Seeds? I was thinking of getting some.
Answer: Chia seed is a gluten-free ancient grain that can be added to just about any food. On a per gram basis, chia seed is touted to be:
• The highest source of omega-3s in nature with 65 per cent of
its total fat from omega-3 fatty acids.
• The highest source of fibre in nature – 35 per cent (90 per cent
of which is insoluble and 10 per cent of which is soluble).
• Abundant in the minerals magnesium, potassium, folic acid,
iron and calcium.
• A complete source of all essential amino acids and bioavailable
• A great choice for a carbohydrate-conscious eater. The carbs found in chia seeds are mostly insoluble fibre, which means they have few calories and are terrific for digestion.
And then there are the hormonal benefits: chia seed stabilizes blood sugar, manages the effects of diabetes, improves insulin sensitivity and aids symptoms related to metabolic syndrome, including
imbalances in cholesterol, blood pressure and high blood sugar after meals. Chia seed is highly anti-inflammatory and reduces high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, a blood marker of inflammation. I recommend adding 1 – 2 tablespoons in your smoothies or on top of salads or entrees daily.
Wishing you perfect balance,