Walking versus running helps to burn fat, does not cause stress on the thyroid and does not spike cortisol like routinely completing a 30 to 45 minute run/jog would. Think of this – it’s best to stick to long, low and slow – or red, hot, fast and sweating workouts – when it comes to aiming for fat loss and preserving muscle. The perfect long, low and slow workouts are yoga or walking. While examples of red, hot, fast and sweating are interval training/sprinting or circuit training (with weights) for a maximum of 30 minutes.
- Take 2 capsules of Green Tea plus Moringa. Green tea is proven to cause you to burn more fat during training. It increases metabolism and I know this firsthand because I sweat a lot each time when I take it before a workout.
- Find a friend to walk with either a human or dog or worst case a set of headphones and music or a podcast!
- Walk at least three, ideally five or six, times per week.
- Walk 60 minutes. This simply has to do with blood sugar physiology and its relationship to fat burning. It typically takes about 45 to 50 minutes to deplete the sugar in your bloodstream. Once this readily available fuel is gone, your body will begin to tap into your fat stores. You can walk less time after a strength training workout to enter the fat burning-zone (30 – 45 minutes).
- You will burn the most fat and repair the most damage after a cheat day if you walk on an empty stomach or after consuming a no fat, no carb pre-workout collagen/protein drink. If you do not walk on an empty stomach in the morning or after having your collagen/protein mix, then eat any one of your four daily meals and time your walk about an hour or two later. Walk for one hour to 1 hr 15 mins then eat your next meal after you get home, once you are hungry.
- Another best time to walk for fat loss is after dinner. Wait 30-60 min after dinner, go for your walk, do not eat again before bed. If you’re really hungry add one scoop of protein powder or meal replacement powder to water.
- When you have your weekly cheat meal, try to go for a walk after the meal. It’s proven to reduce the amount of fat stored after your indulgence. You may not burn stored body fat, but you won’t store more.
My pre-cardio drink details:
Best pre-workout drink and supplement to burn more fat, protect muscle and preserve strength while you walk:
You want to stick to a no fat, no carb option before your workout as this will prevent an increase in blood sugar and allow your body to move to burning fat faster.
Here’s my suggestion of two powders to mix with water in a shaker cup:
- ½ scoop marine collagen + vitamin C, which provides 15 grams of collagen and 500mg of vitamin C per dose. Having the collagen before your walk is immensely beneficial as proven by University of Toronto researchers who found that 15 grams of collagen with vitamin C before a workout greatly improved athletes’ muscles, tendons, ligaments, performance, and recovery. Ten grams did not work. I think walking after the morning shake is best because you get all of the benefits of collagen and protein on your muscles, tendon, bones, and metabolism. You will also help to boost your thyroid and protect yourself from a rise in cortisol from not getting any nutrients needed in the morning usually within an hour of rising.
- 1 to 1.5 scoops of whey protein that provides 20 to 30 grams of whey protein. It’s the most absorbable source of protein have so it is the most bioavailable and advantageous when it comes to supporting muscle growth and preserving the muscle you have. It also has additional benefits on insulin balance, immune function, and antioxidant protection. If you prefer a vegan source of protein try pea and rice (Chocolate or Vanilla), pea protein (Unflavoured), or Pure Pea (Vanilla flavour).
- Take 2 capsules of Green Tea plus Moringa. Green tea is proven to cause you to burn more fat during training. It increases metabolism and I know this firsthand because I sweat a lot each time I take it before a workout.