Clearly what we do is important as well as how we actually do it. But the order in which we may choose to do certain activities or things, also can make a real big difference. So, keeping this in mind, here are my top suggestions for your day, evening or weekend of love and happiness this Valentine’s Day.
1. Amuse bouche! Let’s get on with chocolate – first. It will make you more attentive and the evening more memorable.
Real health benefits of having chocolate:
- Data represents first human trials examining the impact of dark chocolate consumption on cognition and other brain functions. Findings from two new studies show dark chocolate consumption reduces stress and inflammation, while improving memory, immunity and mood.
- Eat dark chocolate to beat the midday slump? Northern Arizona University (May 2018) A study shows chocolate can increase brain characteristics of attention and significantly affect blood pressure levels. Historically, chocolate has been recognized as a vasodilator, meaning that it widens blood vessels and lowers blood pressure (like Viagra does!) in the long run, but chocolate also contains some powerful stimulants.
- Chocolate for your heart BMJ (June 2015). Eating up to 100 g of chocolate every day is linked to lowered heart disease and stroke risk. The calculations showed that compared with those who ate no chocolate higher intake was linked to an 11% lower risk of cardiovascular disease and a 25% lower risk of associated death. This is not your free ticket to eat a chocolate bar everyday. Simply bite off a square of dark chocolate to enjoy benefits both short and long term.
- Give a gift that keeps on giving – chocolate completely 100% guilt free, sugar free, carb, free, super high In fiber and taste like a Bounty Bar! Vitamin Chocolate Coconut Fiber Bars,awesome after dinner or during the high craving time mid-afternoon. We have one patient that buys loads and freezes them.
2. Cook dinner together. Couples that do things together, tend to stay together. And here’s why….
1) It causes connection as you plan and shop for the meals. You also have the benefit of learning new things together and experimentation. Think of how different this is as compared to one person trying to plan the meal, shopping alone, prepping alone…. A big void gets created as there is a lack of a life “together”.
2) You enjoy and experience something together – new flavors, new techniques, and develop common likes.
3) Doing this creates mutual respect and appreciation for each other.
4) Creates an opportunity to bond – beyond date night.
Check out my recipe blog – I recommend the Spicy Tacos for Valentines Day, cooks in just one pot, its carb free – so no belly bloat or carb coma
3. Have a romantic movie marathon – or not! I say turn-up the spice with an episode of Yellowstone or another intense new show. You don’t need romantic films to get in the mood!
Real health benefits of a spicy show or movie:
- Watching a spicy show or movie can stimulate the brain, our largest sex organ, especially important for women.
- Watching together strengthens bond and connection as you experience the joy, love, emotion related to what you are watching. And remember, what you watch is very important. In fact, watching romantic movies can boost progesterone in men and women by 10%, bringing couples closer together according to University of Michigan psychology researchers. Your hormones respond– not just your mind! Action movies tend to boost testosterone in men. So, my take home message for you is to pick one of romantic and one action and you will create the perfect hormone state for the “bedroom connection, as progesterone reduces anxiety and testosterone helps to create the motivation, desire and drive for attentive lovers.
4. Exchange heartfelt gifts.
Do some investigating and figure out something special and heartfelt that your partner would appreciate. This year more than ever it is nice to be thoughtful as we are all dealing with a lot! Don’t forget that thoughtful and heartfelt doesn’t need to be expensive.
Purchase Libido Boost Support: Dopamine Support (Rhodiola, Tyrosine and Phenylalanine) – 3 on rising for dopamine and brain boost and Herbal Medicine Libido Support – 3 also on rising or before bed for a sex hormone boost. Combine with 1 cap Zinc at bedtime, as it helps to raise testosterone, important for motivation, drive, memory and libido.
5. Get to know each other better over a bottle of wine or champagne or top 2021 health trends a non-alcoholic cocktail (straw-free of course) or CBD cocktail.
Real Health Benefits of:
o Wine: Depending on the type and sugar content, wine can be good for you. My suggestion – Pinot Noir only! It is free of histamines, so no headache or other bad effects in the morning.
o Champagne: Check these top five benefits of champagne here.
o Non-alcoholic cocktail without the straw: I recommend creating a recipe or finding one online that has pomegranate in it…..it helps to balance sex hormones. Here are some great mocktails which are healthier than some that are full of sugar including a Pomegranate Ginger Storm – https://www.culinarynutrition.com/20-best-healthy-holiday-mocktails/
o CBD cocktail: After all it is 2021, CBD is an anti-inflammatory for the brain, reduces anxiety, depression, pain, and can treat signs of neuropathy. It assists with mood, sleep and even post-traumatic stress. Why not start the night off right with this and the chocolate to get in the right “head-space”? Call us for more information on CBD.
6. Write love letters to each other, or not! I say play the question game, a fun, interactive and engaging process for both new and old couples (both use topics to stimulate good conversation and learning more about each other…)
Use these resources to make it easy for you:
Real Health Benefits of connecting and communicating:
- The way relationships affect our health changes as the relationship ages. According to mensjournal.com: “There’s a very strong, positive effect of entering a marriage that overtime dissipates,” says Beam. That is, until the Golden Years kick in. “There’s evidence that in long-term marriages, you get happier over time,” says Proulx. As people get older, big stressors, like children and work, often go away. While this can be a happiness boost for anyone, people in long-term relationships — Proulx looked at those lasting at least 20 years — get the extra advantage of having the support and company of someone they (likely) care about very deeply and enjoy being around.
- Never stop exploring. New experiences build new neural pathways and boost dopamine, the hormone of motivation, drive and focus.
7. Give each other a massage. I recommend the use coconut oil as a massage oil (that does not stain and it is edible)
Real Health Benefit of massage:
- Proven to reduce cortisol, and to cause a boost of three feel good hormones – oxytocin, dopamine and serotonin. Not to mention it improves lymphatic drainage, reduces pain and improves sleep and relaxation.
8. Take an online class together!
Yes, an online cooking class or Masterclass could do, but how about one of these?
- Mindfulness courses
- Tantric Sex Course
- How to give oral sex
Real Health Benefit of learning something new together:
- Reduced stress and greater connection.
- Nearly everyone gets stressed out by their relationship at some point but, in general, a significant other has a calming effect. “Having a healthy relationship can buffer us from the negative effects of stress,” says Proulx. In a 2010 study from the University of Chicago, students undergoing a stressful test had markedly lower cortisol levels — known as the stress hormone — if they were married. Not only do married couples often share responsibilities but having a special someone to think about seems to take the edge off during hectic times.
9. Take a bath together – ease sore muscles, get wet and slippery, stave off the cold winter chill and enjoy…
Real Health Benefits of having a bath:
- Relaxation and peace and quiet – read here for all top health benefits.
- Add these things to make it much more enjoyable: candles, relaxing music
- Epsom salt – rich in magnesium it is a natural muscle relaxant
- Natural bubble bath – add essential oils for added benefits but do it right – check this resource
10. A song and a dance. Nothing brings people together more than music. How about each of you choose one song to play during dinner or the evening…and dance (which may come easier after the cocktail options above)!
Real Health Benefits of music and dancing:
- Music raises dopamine and serotonin, dancing classes have been found to be almost as effective as SSRI for depression and anxiety in one 12 week study. Don’t like to dance? Add music to your workout together…it can be great foreplay.
- Another option to raise mood, motivation , libido and dopamine – 3 caps of Dopamine Support (Rhodiola, Tyrosine and Phenylalanine) on rising.